tg
The brake pedal on my 70 bug was stuck to the floor. You could pull it back up by hand but it did not come back on its own. And it was hard to pull by hand. Anyhow I decided to pull the pedal assembly to see what was hanging it up.

What I found is a pretty rusty assembly. It cleaned up pretty good though and the steel is in good shape. But I can tell that my brake pedal problems are due to rust buildup. I can move the pedal (with the assembly removed) back and forth but its pretty sticky. (the clutch pedal moves freely)

I would like to take the assembly apart so I can clean it better and grease it. My problem is, how does it come apart? It looks like I need to remove the clutch pedal first and the clutch looks to be held on by a "Pin". I tried to punch/hammer the pin out but it is not budging. Before I beat too hard on it I thought I should make sure I am on the right track and see if anyone had any pointers?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Quote 0 0
olspeed
Put some OIL on it, penetrating oil. You might need to hit it with a little heat also to break loose the rust. Plus I think it's a tapered pin and only comes out one way so take a good look at the thing to make sure you are not trying to drive it the wrong way. Check the spring for the brake pedal also as they get rusty and break. It's been a while since I did mine but I do remember it was not to bad of a bear to take apart.
Olspeed    
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
tg
Thanks for your input.

I think I'll try your idea and put a little heat to it. I soaked it good with pb blaster and that did not seem help. I'll also hit it with some penatrating oil as you suggested.
Quote 0 0