QMAN56

Doing a frame up restoration of a 1970 Type1 Beetle. Looking to see what I can do to maximize fuel economy. Any suggestions ?

Quote 0 0
Wayne

You should get about 25-30 MPG with a well tuned Beetle. What were you hoping for?

Quote 0 0
QMAN56

Wayne, Thanks for response. Yes, 25-30 mpg seems like a normal range, and my inital thoughts what to target. Thread was a 'thinking out of the box" inquiry, that as light as the bug is, if others had figured out ways of getting a better gas miliage.  Thanks again
Quote 0 0
olspeed
You should be getting really darn close to 30 mpg or a little more with a "stock" Bug. If you are looking for more start first by boosting the engine a little so it can pull taller gears. then go find a good used transmission from a 75 or newer Bug as these have the tallest gears installed stock by VW.(You can buy a freeway flyer trans from Rancho also) Remember though that your cooling system MUST be in good shape to run the taller gears, and that you don't want to go to far on the overdrive. VW designed the car to take XX horsepower to travel at 65 mph, No matter what you do it will still take that HP to push your VW at 65 mph. So in turn it will still need the same amount of air to cool the engine when it is pulling that HP. As far as what I run, I have a 66 Ghia that has the gears and diff from a very late model Bug in it. The engine is a 1904, (90.5 X 74)  mild hyd cam and lifters ported and polished stock valve size heads, and header exhaust with a custom muffler. I am running a rejetted 34 pict-3, polished end castings, and a 009 with a Allison XR 700 electronic ignition. As the car is set up I get 34.2 mpg at 65 mph. Plus I have found that when I can get a crude form of water and Alcohol injection to work it goes up to 35.5 mpg, but I can't get the system to live very long so I have dropped it.(I am looking at the possibility of E85 because of the octane) If you want ideas look around on the web or in Hot VW's magazine at their Mileage motor article. They are up to around 40mpg... but it takes money.
Olspeed  
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
QMAN56

Thanks. Thought there had to be something from a gearign perspective that will help. May look into "freeway flyer" from Rancho you referenced.  Also will see what Hot VW's thinks about topic. Thanks again.

Quote 0 0