I just got my first bug- a 1964. It runs good and the body is fine. It needs paint and interior work. Whoever painted it last just painted over the original white. They didn't even remove the license plate when they sprayed it. It was a lousy job.
I have some questions as this is my first one and there are things I don't know.
1) There is a mystery button in between the horn and the windshield wipers. It's not stock as the balck plastic doesn't go with the rest of it but I'm not sure if it's a replacement for a stock button or aftermarket thing. One wire is grounded and the other wire is tied into a hot wire but I can't figure out what it does. Nothing happens when you press it. So is there a stock button in that location and if so, what does it do?
2) The jack that came with it is stock. However, the arm of the jack is on a spring and goes down to about a 20-30 degree angle with weight on it. It seems to me that thios would be unsafe as the car might slide off. Also, I can't see a good spot to put it to jack it up to change the tire. I'm sure it's simple but I'm ignorant so help me. What's the purp[ose of the arm going down a little and where is the best place to put the jack to change a tire?
3) The rear seat isn't bolted in. Are the bolts for that a standard size I can find at any hardware store or do I need to order them from a VW parts place? If I need to order them, what size? I looked on one site and they had lots of bolts listed but didn't say that any were for the back seats.
4) The steering wheel isn't stock. I'm not even sure it was made for a bug. It looks jury-rigged to me. There is quite a gap on the column between the steering wheel and the turn signals. The turn signals don't shut off after making a turn. I want to replace it with a stock steering wheel, horn ring, and horn button. I looked on a site and couldn't find a cancellation switch for a 1964. Besides the stock steering wheel kit, what else do I need to get the turn signals to shut off after turning?
5) The deck has a locking turning handle but no keys for it. Also, it doesn't have the latch inside to keep it shut. It's held shut with bungee cords. I need to replace the handle but what latch do I need for the inside?
6) What books should I get on restoration and keeping the motor running? Any recommendations?
I did email one supplier a few days ago with some of these questions and I thought they would answer as I said I was going to buy the parts from them but apparently they are too busy or too uninterested to answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The cars a good runner now but I want to restore it as good as I can back to original.