olspeed

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about putting a early style sliding rag top in to a late model bug. back in the late 80's I remember an ad in hot vw's for a kit to do such a thing.(speaking of Man I miss my thing!) Does anyone know if these people are still in business, and has anyone tried to install something like this. I am in the process of building up my 76 Bug (not a super) back to what I had in 95 when I parked it. I've installed new heat channels floor pans and I am repairing the rest of the rust. I had the local metal shop make my new 10 gauge side rails for my 3" lift kit, and it should be getting sprayed and striped shortly. But I was kind of thinking of some kind of sun roof but I have hear all kinds of horror stories an the clear plastic ones that you cut the roof and install, every one says they leak. If I could find a roll back roof from a wrecked late model bug in my area I would go that way but I think the sliding cloth top would look cooler.  

66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
The only way that I have seen it done was to remove the entire unit from the roof of a clapped-out   ' 62 donor car and graft it onto a ' 67.  This guy is a true artiste of welding and grafting and the results looked nearly factory in their perfection.  The section he removed was about 4 inches back of the edges of the opening.  As for the clear plastic unit, I would consider that to be vandalism.  The all metal retractable or the classic roll back rag are the only ways to go.  Just my opinions.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
AlphaWolf
No they now sell kits for this.

I am having my 70s Auto Haus Sun Port replaced with a black Rag top.

They have a kit with rails and all.  They cut out the roof, weld the new rails in.

This guy is an auto restorer.  And the ones he had done there look like factory.

Quote 0 0
olspeed
Cool who sells these kits  as that is what I am looking for ! Got a number or web site that I can call or check out if you could let me know that would be great.
I just found the site that I was looking for, http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/slidragvolwa.html thought I would post it here if anybody is interested.
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0