horailfan

Hello, I have a very annoying rattle from the shifter in all of the gears. The rattle gets louder the faster you go. The car shifts ok and the rattle stops when you put a little pressure on the stick(hand pressure). Any ideas on how to fix this problem besides buying a radio and turning it up real loud?

Jerry

Quote 0 0
Wayne

I had this problem and fixed it by adding some grease to the bottom of the shifter.

Quote 0 0
horailfan

Any kind of wheel bearing grease? Do I pull up the boot and apply it there?

Thanks again for your replies Wayne!

Jerry

Quote 0 0
hugh

There are three possibilities that I'm aware of. Putting grease at the bottom of the shifter is the easiest if it's the problem. Lift the carpet over the shifter.  Scribe a line on the tunnel to mark where the shifter plate bolts to the tunnel, then unbolt the shifter and pull it out. Put some grease in the cup that holds the shifter.

Before you reinstall the shifter take a flashlight and look back into the tunnel. You should see a plastic shifter bushing with a metal ring around it a couple of inches back. Try to move it back and forth. If you can do that it needs replacing. It's supposed to be locked into its mounting plate and won't move. If you don't see one it's because it's broken and is lying at the bottom of the tunnel. You'll need a new one. If everything is there, reinstall the shifter base plate along the line you scribed and you should be good to go.

The other possibility for a noise that I'm aware of is real important. It could be that the plastic bushings in the shift rod coupling below the back seat are worn out or the bolt holding them in place is coming out. Check those by removing the rear seat, then the access plate on the hump. They should be tight in the metal coupling.  My bolt fell out on a five lane highway a few weeks ago. When that happens you ain't going anywhere for a while. Good luck.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
 Is your shifter knob one of the one piece originals or an aftermarket?  I had an after market unit which buzzed like fury.  Tightening it still let it buzz. I finally found that there was a threaded part within it which had adapted it to the shifter rod.  I removed this, packed it with two part epoxy and reassembled it.  END of buzz - for good.  Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0