Hi,

My husband and I recently restored our 1972 Volkswagen convertible.  It turned out fantastic and we are really enjoying it.  We came across the rear seat assist straps and can't remember where they go!  Do they go somewhere on the convertible top frame?  I have tried to find pictures on the Web that would help us but no success.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rosemary

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi RVI, welcome to the world of VW.  MY72BUG  is a convertible.  Those type  of assist straps are unique to a convertible.  With your top up, sit in the back seat.  On the  top's frame sort of level with the front edge of your rear seat's bottom there will be two holes in the steel frame about 1 1/2 " apart.  There is a special squared " C " shaped metal  piece which will fit into the strap.  Two sheet metal screws will attach it to the top frame.  This is to the side, very close to the chrome on the top of the rear quarter window.  If the attaching metal piece is missing, you can buy one from CIP 1.  When you are all done, look up TYP15.com and register your convertible in the international Beetle Convertible registry in Germany.  The web site is in German and English and is entirely non-commercial.  Enjoy your car.  Dan ( My72BUG) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0

Dan,

Thank you for your reply it was very helpful.  We are from Ontario as well!  Port Sydney which is a little village in Muskoka.

Thanks again,

Rosemary

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

C'est mon plaisir.  Now..... Please, please, Please register your convertible in the TYP15 international registry.  There are only about 9 of us Cdns in the registry and I have stood in a field here in Ontario and could count that many in my field of vision !!  That goes for all of you other 'vert owners whereever you may be.  The TYP15 website is totally free of commercial stuff, is run in English and of course German as it is based in the Deutchland and will offer you views of some of the real primo VW convertibles currently within the hold of the earth's gravity.  Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0