Juju

1974 Super Beetle; On the back side of the rear seat there is a panel that covers the back seat springs when the seat is folded down.  Through that panel is a belt or strap that has a clip at the end of it.  I would like to know the purpose of that strap and where it attaches when it is being used for whatever its purpose is?

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

JUJU; It's me again Dan, MY 72 BUG.  The strap holds the upright portion of the back bench seat in the lowered position when you need to schlep stuff around.  You will note that I have posted the same question for my 'vert!  That is , where the heck do you attach it?  I just had another thought.  Maybe the strap holds that panel in a straight out position so that the panel serves as a cover so that people can't look in the window and see what kind of neat junk you are carrying.  This may be the answer but I can't experiment now as my bug has gone into storage 15 miles away until April ' 06.  OUCH  MY72BUG

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0

I'm lucky enough to still have the original owner's manual for my 1967 Beetle, and it says that the strap you're talking about is intended for storing luggage on the back of the back seat.  It connects to the metal strip that is located below the bottom of the seat (between the seat and the heater vent panel).

I drove quite some way to find that piece again b/c we lost it in the move from California. It only cost me $15 for the whole thing, but the sad part is that my re-upholstered seats are too "fluffy" to be held down by the strap, plus my speaker shelf would fall down at that point anyway...oh well!

-dc

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
thanks !  The answers are always out there somewhere.  I had the feeling that that was the purpose of the strap.  Now I just have to wait until Spring disentombs my bug from storage so I can crawl into the back of the car and experiment with the strap.  I may be in the same boat as you as my newly upholstered seats have achieved a very " fluffy " status.  I am contemplating making a 1/4 " plywood cap which would replace the lower seat unit should the Mrs. and I decide to do some travelling.  It would allow the backrest to fold flat and would protect the backrest's upholstery at the same time.  MY72 BUG in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0