This might be the stupidest question you ever heard, but here goes.  I have a 1969 VW beetle and I wanted to repack the rear wheel bearings. I took the a-arm off( I believe that's what you call what houses the stub axial)and I was taking out the stub axial and noticed that the front wheel bearing was alittle loose in the housing so I thought the bearing was spun and the housing must be bad. So I took off the back seal and the retainer clip and the back bearing came right out, so these have a nice snug slip fit but no tap fit. Then I went to the other side and the same thing the front  bearing slipped out anb the back bearing on the passenger side had somewhat of a tap fit for that one. All the bearing I have ever replaced You had to tap them into the housing, are these differant or do I just have two scrap a-arms

Quote 0 0
Juju
Hi Paul: The rear wheel axle nuts are supposed to be torqued to 235 lbs.  This locks the center sleeve between the bearings to the inner race of the bearing and the axle.  What happens is someone does not torque the nut tight enough and then the outer race on the bearing can spin in the hub and wear a clearance so you have a loose fit. If the bearing is in good shape and you can repack the grease in it, I would suggest that you take a feeler gage and find a snug fit, and then take a scissors and cut the feeler gage to make a shim and tap the bearing into the hub with the feeler gage in there as a shim. This will make the bearing slightly off center but the axle spins in the center of the bearing wherever it is mounted. It will work ok, even if its not the best way to fix it, its cheaper than new trailing arms and bearings.   
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi Paul,

No, the front wheel bearings are cup & cone tapered bearings and the cups [outer pieces] need to be knocked in & out with a punch & hammer..  You probably have the inner sections- cones...

If they are worn You will need to replace the complete bearing - Cup & cone tapered assembly...   

Before You rush out & buy new front bearings, try regreasing them with Lithium based Moly grease...

This grease is greyish-black and is the best You can buy...

All Your bearings plus CV joints and torsion bar bearings should be greased using this grease... Its very easy to find - even large department stores sell it in Australia...  It will even stop noisy cv joints from knocking, but its best to regrease the CV joints before they wear too badly....  Don't get this grease on Your clothes as it won't come out

but it will stop most things from wearing....

The rear bearings have a spacer between them and they should also be knocked into the housing... but they have a habit of coming loose... in the housing... whether this is do to the axle nut not being tightened, I don't know.... and the feeler gauge repair is a good one...

I would never have thought of that...

Best wishes from Australia  - pic of My Beetle

Lee Noonan   68AutoBug  Australia

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0