Friedle
Mine has got 111,000 plus right now.  It's been in the car 12.5-years.  What do you think she's got left in her.  A little oil appears from the oil slinger on the cooling tin.  Let me know what y'all think...

Patrick.
'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
You have really wrung out a lot of time and miles from that old mill.  Given that, the old girl may stay have a long way to go without any serious intervention from her owner.  It really comes down to how well the engine is maintained and how hard it is worked.  The best engine can have a short lifespan if the user ignores oil changes and valve lash adjustments, allows the engine to overheat by playing with the cooling system and lugs it in the wrong gear under acceleration.  Seeing what you have accomplished you must be doing the right things.  So if it is still happily doing its thing, keep doing your maintenance routine and enjoy your success.  No use setting out to fix something that isn't broken.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
66VDubbin

reading this post brings a question to my mind. i have a 66 w/ the original 1300 and original trans....infact original everything mechanically. still runs great doesnt even leak oil to bad. the odo reads 31,326. . i have just always wondered if has 131,326mi on it or think it actually has 31,326mi??? kinda random but just curious to what you guys think

Quote 0 0
Wayne
I would go with the 131,326 miles. I found my Super in Vancouver Canada and it was advertised by a dealer with only having 12,000 miles on the clock. I took it for a test drive and found the original owners phone number on some manuals in the trunk. When I called it indeed had 112,000 miles on it. It the dealers defense odometers now go over 100,000 miles so I can see how they may have misread it.

Also divide 31,326 by how old your Ghia is and that car would have only traveled 726 mile per year or has been in storage a long, long time. In which case it should be pretty much mint. A VW with only 131,000 miles on it should be in great mechanical shape if it was taken care of, which yours obviously has been.
Quote 0 0
Friedle
Sorry for the late response, I am thankful to y'all for the the thoughtful and positive responses.  I do my best to be regular on upkeep.  However, I think a rebuild by 125/135k will be needed, as she keeps together.  Drive and enjoy your bug daily, I do!

Patrick.
'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
As long as there is no excessive end play(with the engine off and the car in neutral, grab the pulley and pull in and out) and no knocks or other weird noises... run it as there is still lots of life in it.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0