Hey:

I am new to this chat board. ok I live in Miami.... very hot, I own a bettle 1969, I do not know too much about mechanics, well.... I changed all brakes on my 69 bug, with a frind's help. but my question is?

It looks that my bug is using too much gasoline, i do not know how to control the gas entrance into the carburator, any reading suggestions?, is there a way to close something to make it consume less gasoline?

Please help.

Thanks

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

How long has it been since the carb was rebuilt?  First, take a look at the condition of your spark plugs.  Black ash deposits will be an indicator that your bug is running too rich.  If you are still running a stock Pict carb, get a Haynes book and a carb rebuild kit.  Follow it step by step and rebuild the carb.  If the rebuild is recent, use your book to reset the adjustments on the carb.  If the plugs really do not look fouled by excess fuel use, and the engine is running well, do not try to reduce fuel use by running the engine too lean.  This will make the engine run too hot and you will burn your valve seats at the very least.  You have to ask yourself just how much fuel use is excessive?

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

I thought of another gas usage issue which happens with the stock Solex carburetors and this one can mean the life or death of your engine.  The Beetle's design has the gas tank mounted higher than the engine.  When your healthy fuel pump gets the gas flowing you have to actually stop the flow  once the engine is shut off. To accomplish this there is an electro magnetic shut-off device built into the left side base of your carb.  When you turn your ignition key you should hear a distinct "click" as this shut-off opens.  If this device fails to work, your fuel system can go into self-syphon mode wherein the fuel flows through the carb and fills your crankcase with gas.  Watch for the level on your dip-stick suddenly appearing higher than normal.  Imagine what this is doing for the lubrication quality of your oil!  The old bug will start burning oil like a 2 stroke.  Correct the problem immediately and get that contaminated oil out of the crankcase before it does a number on your gaskets and seals.  I speak from experience.  Not that it was using a lot of gas.  I never really noticed excess usage but I did get to see what it can do to your mill.

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0