horailfan

What would be a good lubricant to use to free up the retractable mechanism on the seatbelt?

Quote 0 0
Wayne

I took mine apart and lubed it with WD40 and then white grease once I freed it up.

Quote 0 0
horailfan

Thanks Wayne, I started to think it was a waste of time posting here. I appreciate the help.

Jerry

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
One thing for sure - NEVER attempt to open the device which contains the bendix spring.  It will jump out of there in a fashion which will amaze you and will NEVER be recontained therein.  Start with a good blast of compressed air and repeat with the belt all the way in and all the way out.  After that, the lubricants can happen.  If your year is right ( pre-1973)  stick with the old belts.  Once they are adjusted they beat the retractables hands down.    Dan ( temporarily in Arizona) MY72BUG in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
horailfan
Hi Dan, thought I'd let you know your absolutely right about the spring. Twanggg! Did that. Good thing I have another birthday comming up so I can get a set of new ones. A great $170.00 lesson.
Jerry
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Dan here.   I feel your pain.  Before you launch into costly replacements check around with clubs or wreckers.  Seat belts have a high survival rate.  I have seen them at car shows for a lot less than the price you quoted.  Another thing about " stuck " retractors is that there is a positioning thingy in there that drops into the ratchet in the event that the mechanism is jerked or inverted ( as in a rollover )   If a belt won't pull out, try repositioning the whole unit and giving the belt a tug from another angle.  As for the bendix spring - DON'T GO THERE !  I did, albeit on an old scrap unit, and have the scars to prove it.  Some of the best lessons we learn come at the highest prices.  Good luck with the project.   Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0