Juju

I repaced the one and only outside mirror on my car ( Left side). In the door was a threaded weld-nut that the mirror mount screwed into.  I would like to put a right side mirror on the car.  I don't know if there is a threaded mirror mount nut inside the right side door as on the left side and I do not want to drill a hole in the door and find nothing in there to mount the mirror. Has anyone been through this activity and can tell me if there is an internal mirror mount on the right side door?  It is a '74 Super Beetle.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi juju, it's Dan.  I've combed my books to look for an answer to your question and I think I may have it.  The Haynes book chapter 11 page 17 shows mirror replacement.  The diagram shows that some use the threaded hole in the hinge while others have a rather large diameter hole in the door itself, fitted with a removable plastic plug.  With yours, it would be the latter model with the fitting in the door rather than the hinge.  The picture they use is the left side of the car but the covered hole is very visible.  If your right side does not have one of these visible removable plugs in a location corresponding to the hole on the left side, then it is safe to say that you will need to drill a suitable hole and install the threaded insert ( page 268 of the CPI catalogue )  part # VWC 111857517-C   "outside  mirror  mount  threaded insert inside door - left or right Beetle Sedan  68-77"  $8.95   I find it unlikely that there would have been a hole there and that it was covered by body work.  The difference is likely between that of the  "luxury model" and the standard edition.  My large colour book on the Beetle shows many views of Super Beetles with only one picture showing a car with both right and left mirrors.  (Note this does not apply to convertibles as their mounting system and mirrors are quite different. )  So I would say, buy the threaded insert, make sure that you can work it up into the area in question and drill away.
You will be interested to note that the German Hella mirror is only listed as a left hand model while the aftermarket ones are both right and left.   MY 72 BUG

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Juju

Hi Dan:  Thanks for the help on the mirror mount. I thought the internal nut was welded into the door and never thought to look for it at a parts supplier.  However, I looked it up and CIP1 has the nut and the part number is as you mentioned.  I was hoping I didn't have to take the inner door panel, cranks and handles off, but that is the only way to get the nut in there.  I am not sure the left side nut is welded now, I might have been just plain lucky it didn't fall down inside the door when I removed the old mirror. The old learning curve isn't gettin' any easier.  Thanks again.

Quote 0 0
Juju

I received my new mirror yesterday and installed it this morning.  "I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TRY TO INSTALL A RIGHT SIDE MIRROR ON A 74 SUPER".

There is no nut inside the door and I had to cut a 3 inch access hole on the inside door sheet metal and it has to be 4 inches below where the hole is on the outside. I had a long spring loaded tweezer type pliers to hold the nut up into the access area and finally managed to get the threaded shaft started.  There is no way to get a wrench in there and I was lucky that the mirror torqued down ok. It was a tedious job, but find a way to mount that side mirror on the door hinge type rather than try to match mirrors, it is a pain.

Quote 0 0
Juju

Well guys, this morning I put new floor mats in and my project is complete. It was a long battle and I learned a lot. A picture is attached. I am happy with the end result. (Left click on the picture for a larger view)

Quote 0 0
Wayne

The mirror looks great  I'd love to have one on my Beetle but after reading how hard it was to install I'm going to think twice about it.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hey juju !  The mirror and the whole project look great.  Sometimes it comes down to the old chestnut: " When you're up  to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember that the original plan was to drain the swamp."   Restoration of cars can provide plenty of moments like this.  You may now enjoy the fruits of your labours.  Dan in Goderich ( currently up to my ass in snow )
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
luftgekuhlt

Hey Juju the mirror looks good but you can remove the vent window to gain access to the mounting point, check the pics if anyone else wants to install theirs, sorry I couldn't help Juju but maybe others can use the info

Sorry I'll post the pics once I change the image size I have a slow connection and it takes forever to upload

Sometimes to move forward you must first fall backwards
Quote 0 0
luftgekuhlt
Here are the pics
Sometimes to move forward you must first fall backwards
Quote 0 0
Juju
Hi Luft;  It looks like you may have mounted your mirror after I did and you did a great job.  Thanks for the step by step pictures of the process.  Basically you have re-affirmed my opinion that this is a difficult procedure. Its great that we have proven that it is a do-able project, but it takes a little igenuity to get there. I am sure your pictures will assist someone else when they get into this mirror mounting procedure.  Thanks again      
Quote 0 0