Sorry for the lame question, but I can't find the brake fluid reservoir on my 74 beetle.  I've been told that it is behind the spare tire, but it's not there.  I've read that in the later years, they moved it.  There is a reservoir in the front trunk, but it looks like there was wiper fluid in there.  Can anyone enlighten me?  I don't think it will be such a hot idea to spray brake fluid all over my windshield while cruisin down the freeway :-)

Quote 0 0
Wayne

There are no lame questions here. The brake fluid reservoir is located under the front hood on the left (drivers) side. It's a square container that's towards the back and it has a black plastic lid.

Quote 0 0
Marc

The cap may also be translucent; there's supposed to be a plastic-mesh strainer in the reservoir neck but it's often missing (no big deal, just be sure to keep the cap on except when you're adding clean brake fluid). The reservoir is split internally by a wall that comes nearly to the top - both halves can be filled through the same hole, but a leak in either the front or rear circuit can't cause loss of all fluid from both halves of the reservoir.

Quote 0 0

Sorry for the late reply, i just saw this post when I googled my screen name to find another link, but unfortunately I was too impatient and you know how i was worried about pooring the break fluid in the windshield washer resevoir?  well let's just say I still haven't found the correct resevoir for the windshield fluid, and i need a new master cylindar. 

Quote 0 0

actually, My friend needs a new master cylindar, I need a new throttle body for my mkIII gti

Quote 0 0