I was wondering what the problem could be.  I have a 1974 Superbeetle that starts fine and after about 10 secounds stutters and dies.  I just replaced the Fuel line, fuel filter, spark plug wires, and plugs within the last week and it was running great.  But then on the way home on the freeway it started sputtering and dying again.  I noticed that the coil had falled of the shroud, should i replace it to see if thats it?  Someone told me that it shouldnt be electrical, if it starts fine, but im thinking that maybe doesnt hold enough juice.  It seems also that if i keep very slowly pushing down on the gas a couple times, it keeps bringing up the RPMs slowly, and when it gets pretty high it sputters and backfires.   This is driving me crazy because it was running so nice and smooth and then all the sudden......    Thank you guys for any input.

Rick

Quote 0 0
Ryan

Try replacing the fuel filter again.  Of the things you listed, that's the only suspect item.  I had a new one clog so badly the week after I installed it that it starved the engine for fuel.  The filter itself was defective because it was perfectly clean.  Never had the problem before, or again.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0