Manner
I have a 67 Beetle that is running really hot at idle.  It basically will peg the gauge at 300 once it reaches idle temp, stall out, & then is hard to start until it cools.  When I rev the engine, the temp drops immediately to 180 & when I maintain a rev above idle, all seems well.

I've changed the dual webber idle jets twice, from stock 50 to 55, then 60.  Seems to be running a little rich now.

I've replaced/adjusted all the ignition stuff, points, condensor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, adjusted valves. I'm running 93 Oct. pump gas.

I have an oil cooler that is mounted behind the fan shroud.  I was thinking the cooler could be blocked.  I took it off & it appears a little dirty but not completely clogged with debris or anything.

Any thoughts out there that I'm missing?
Quote 0 0
perrib

Do you mean you have the stock oil cooler or has the stock oil cooler been removed and a bypass cooler kit installed with the oil cooler blocking the fan intake area?

Quote 0 0
Manner

Yes, as you describe it.  The oil cooler is mounted behind the fan shroud and covers fan intake area.  I took the entire fan shroud & oil cooler assembly off this weekend and did not find any blockage in the fan/shroud/oil cooler.

Quote 0 0
perrib

The set up you have does not work. It was proven not to work over 30 years ago. Convert back to a stock doghouse with all the tin and correct fan. You could make it work better by relocating the cooler and using a thermostacially controlled electric fan to cool the relocated oil cooler at idle but with out a stock oil cooler the cylinders actually run hotter. Vw designed the shroud to compensate for the cooler location. I just drove my 2180 over 80 miles today in 110 degree weather my engine ran 180-200 degrees the entire time.

Quote 0 0