Juju

On my 1974 Super Beetle restoration, the seat belt retractors do not wind the belt when released.  I have the spring coiled tight with the belt totally unwound but it will not rewind.  I would like to know if the spring needs to be installed with half the belt wound or is there a way to fix the retractor to work properly?

Quote 0 0
Wayne

I've tightened mine up by winding the spring a bit. If the belts are dirty, this can cause the belt to jam or to not retract at all. There is also the possibility that they are just too old and worn out to work.

You can pick up new 3 point belts from http://www2.cip1.com/?Click=30260  for about $80 a side. And when you think of the safety point of view, this might be the best thing to do.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

These rewinding springs are a nightmare in a box.  I think that they are called bendix springs. They are also in lawnmower pull starters.  Don't ever actually open one because getting it back in is the proverbial can of worms.  You won't get all of the worms back in the can!  These collect a lot of dirt and the answer to your problem may be to blast it with compressed air and give it a shot of light machine oil.

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0