jrrhdmust

I am restoring a 71 superbeetle.  I have one seat reupholstered.  However, the head rest on the other seat is trashed.  I can't find a source to obtain another one.  Does anyone have any sources?  A used one is a viable option.

71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Wayne

I checked around and I think that you're going to have to find that item used. Check the for sale section here and at SuperBeetles.com. There is a guy that is parting out some Beetles there.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Used is about your only prospect.  I do not know of any source for aftermarket "stock" seats.  Check out auto wrecker web sites such as Hidden Valley in Arizona or look to E-bay or various VW clubs.  Eventually you will find where someone has trashed some stock ones.  Once you find the frames you are in good shape because padding sets and seat covers are readily available.  Dan ( MY 72BUG) in Goderich.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
jrrhdmust

I have the seat frame.  I just need the headrest padding.  It is a special foam piece that I can not find through any VW source.  I have been looking for a while.

71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Wayne

Did you try a VW dealer? I got a new hood out of one here in Canada. What about an auto upholstery shop?

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Is the headrest on your seat separate from the backrest of the seat?  If so, it is not a stock 1971 VW.  Your best bet is to go to an automotive upholsterer.  Cutting a piece of suitable foam should be pretty straightforward for anyone in the trade.  After all, they do rebuilds on cars where none of the components are offered aftermarket.  Everything must be done from scratch.   Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
jrrhdmust

The head rest is integral.  The problem is that the head rest padding was a special foam piece that fits over the top of the frame, and the original horse hair padding for the rest of the seat came up to meet the foam piece.

71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
OK   Your seats are stock.  I rebuilt the identical ones for my ' 72.  The padding they supplied does not include the headrest portion.  Mine were OK so it wasn't a big deal.  I am sure that a good upholtery supply would be able to sell you a block of foam which you could cut into the correct shape.  Just remember to make it a little on the large size so that it fills the seat cover completely.  When you are doing the seat backs, a good trick to remember is to first cover the foam portion with a nice tightly fitted garbage bag.  This will allow the seat cover to go over the foam without adhering to it.  The whole works should fit in there nice and tight leaving the seat cover firmly covering the foam body.  Finish the assembly with a line of binding wire around the lower seams and a line of strategically placed " hog-nose rings " to tie everything into place.  I started this  job not knowing a thing about upholstering but with a bit of patience and persistence did a very presentable job in an afternoon.  Of all of the work I have done on MY72BUG, this was likely the easiest and the one which looked most " professional ".   Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
Quote 0 0
jrrhdmust

Thanks.  I have reupholstered before.  I made some custom seats for a 67 Cougar, redid the seats on a 66 Mustang, and now a 71 Super.  I found a decent headrest from a junkyard.  I thought about the foam idea however, I had already upholstered the other seat and I did not want to go back and pull it apart for an example to cut the foam.

71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
jrrhdmust

I ended up finding and receiving the headrest from Bugcity on line.  They were very fast, knowledgeable and friendly.

71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0