gwseymour

I haven't worked on a bug for 25 years so this forum will be my bible until my manual comes in. I have a newly purchased '68 beetle. Today I noticed a large pool of oil under the driver's rear tire.  I traced it directly up to the the axle.  It's not brake fluid. The axle tube itself is bone dry on the outside, as is the rubber boot around the CV, so it's coming out of the end.  I'm not aware of how that much oil can get into the axle tube, but it's clearly coming from the transmission. Obviously a seal is shot somewhere, but I'd like to order parts before taking it all apart. Help?

Quote 0 0
olspeed
You will need to pull the rear drum on that side. Loosen the nut with the car on the ground. Under the drum there is a spacer and seal and the wheel bearing in a housing held on by four bolts. There is a seal kit that they sell that has the seal, spacer, a gasket and an o-ring. That should be all you need to fix this problem... just remember to re-torque the drum nut back up to 217 ft lb or you will be buying a new rear drum shortly after.
olspeed 
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
gwseymour
Thanks!  Your responses are greatly appreciated. I'm a little confused though. Is there suppsoed to be oil inside the axle tube?  I was under the impression that this problem was a seal at the transmission end of the axle.

If it's as simple as a seal on the hub end of the axle, then I'll be greatly relieved.  I spent the night researching how to rebuild the swing axle. It wasn't something I was looking forward to on a car that I just purchased!

Thanks again.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
On a swing axle trans setup the wheel bearing is lubed by the trans oil... Make a right turn and you lube the left wheel bearing... make a left turn and you lube the right. The oil drains back in to the trans with no problems while you are driving, but you definitely want to keep the lube level up to the edge of the plug in the side of the trans. In 69(earlier with type 3's) they went to the full IRS in the bug(double jointed axles ) and then the trans was sealed from the axles.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
gwseymour

Excellent!  Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. The kits are ordered.

Quote 0 0