aven
I have a "1971" Beetle-Based kit car.  The title says it is a 1971, but it has the old style "round" shift coupler (and looks like it is original).  It is my understanding that the round coupler was in '64 and older models.  To make a long story shorter, I ordered a shift coupler by the year I thought the car was (a square U-shape one with urethane bushings for '65 and newer models).  Can I replace the old style coupler with this one?  Or am I better off buying the old-style one?

Here is what I have on the car now:
http://www.jbugs.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=111711175B&Category_Code=

Also, the title says the make of the car is a RECON.  It looks like an english sports car and it has a California VIN plate.  I cannot find any information about this company/model.  Does anyone know this model?  After this coupler issue, I am not sure that the beetle underneath is really a 1971...

I cell phone pictures of when I got it.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
It should interchange The only problem would be if the shift rod isn't drilled all the way through. It's been so long since I have changed one of the old ones...But I think they are drilled. As far as checking to see if the pan is newer than a 64. Check to see what front end is under there. If it's a ball joint unit it is 66 and later and most likely the 71 that the registration states. If it is a link pin front end...The first thing I would do then is check to see if the serial number on the pan(right in front of the hole for the coupling) is the same as what is on the registration. One other thing now that I am thinking back is has the pan been shortened to fit the car? If so then the quick fix for the shift rod was to use the old coupler on the cut off shaft. This would also explain the old coupling on a 71 pan.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
aven
FYI, no, you cannot swap an old coupler with a new-style one (unless you have a newer transmission or you can machine a hole). 

Also, I have decided that my chasis is at least '64 or older (because of the design of the front end) and the title must be refering to the date that it was retitled as a "Recon" in '71.  I would still appreciate it if anyone recognizes this kit to lend out some information.  I assume there were hundreds of kit manufacturers for the beetle, but I can't even find a picture of one like mine.

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
olspeed
What ever, But the problem does not lie with the transmission as both the old and later model shift forks were drilled to accept the set screw for the coupling. Both old and new coupling use a set screw to lock them in place on the shift fork. It is the shift rod that is drilled through to accept the pin on the later coupling. By looking at some of my old notes I did find the one difference between old and late model shift forks was where the set screw relief was drilled. But this was not a hard problem...If the trans was out of the car just change the shift fork. If it was already in the car have the trans in neutral and the shifter in neutral and slide the coupling on the fork with the set screw out. Take a thin center punch and mark the shaft. It will be easy as it is not hardened out on that end. Drill a relief in the shaft, reassemble the coupler install the set screw and things will work like they are suppose to. As to it being a 64 or older pan...it might or might not be, as a older trans can be bolted in to a later model pan. And as I said 65 was the last year for the link pin front end. Ball joint started in 66. Check the serial number that is by the hole to access the shift fork. The Samba web site should have a serial number to date of manufacture listing that you can check there. Anyway the most important part is to have fun...The VW BUG is not a difficult or mysterious car to work on, and the more you can do by yourself the more fun you have.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0