NIKI
I HAVE A 71 WESTIE AND WHEN I PUT IT IN REVERSE YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PUSH DOWN TO GET IT IN REVERSE, THIS JUST HAPPEN RECENTLY AND SO WHEN I SHIFT INTO SECOND GEAR IT IS SO CLOSE TO REVERSE IT SOME TIMES TRY'S TO SHIFT IN TO THE REVERSE GEAR, ( HENSE GRINDING THE GEARS) I HAD A NEW STEERING DAMPER INSTALLED AND  IT STARTED DOING THIS RITE AFTER THE INSTALLATION  I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT WOULD HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS PROBLEM, I AM AFRAID TO DRIVE MY CAMPER AS I DO NOT WANT TO MESS UP THE GEARS, PLEASE HELP ME AND I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY IDEAS YOU MAY HAVE...
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
The steering dampener is just incidental in this matter.  The shifting mechanism down under the shifter is going to be your guilty party.  There is a spring mechanism which has to be compressed to move the shifting rod into the reverse position.  You are going to have to get at it and look for a broken or missing spring.  I have never attacked one so I can't comment on how easy or difficult it will be but all in all it must be done.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
ainokea
If you don't find anything broken, was the shifter bolted down solid? If not, it may have moved enough to create your problem by allowing the reverse lockout plate to move out of position.

Ainokea
Quote 0 0