skaw

i just got back into the v dub scene,,technically i just bought another bug after about two years of not owning one.well i purchased a 73 bug it really cool lookin cal style,older fenders i think,well i got it about a WEEK AGO,and every day after work i have messed with it because it wouldnt start.my Dad used his knowledge of bugs to get it to fire up,,all the common symtoms,,now we have her runnin but she smokes out of tail pipes,,not too much but pretty steady,,pops told me its probably the rings im hopin there may be an easier solution?? seek knowledge and wisdom

Quote 0 0
skaw

hello everyone i just wanted to say its great to see so many other vw fans here i am a fresh owner of a 73 beetle not a super,,i love it its been in my posession for a little over a week and i have finally got it started,,changed the plugs and wires and cleaned the carb a bit,,,i cant figure out why i am getting smoke out of my exhaust white smoke,,and when it warms up it stalls out??well i havent had any quality time to spend with er with Christmas almost here but i sure am excited..

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
That is a strange one as white smoke in the exhaust usually indicates coolant in the crankcase oil and your air-cooled bug cannot be afflicted with that condition!  Before you go tearing down the engine, do an oil change complete with a good crankcase purge, cleaning of the oil strainer and a close examination of the crankcase ventilation system.  You could have very old, water contaminated oil if the bug has not had any good long trips to get the oil up to operating temperature and to burn out the contaminants.  Examine the spark plugs.  They will tell much of the story.  Greasy grayish ash in heavy deposits indicates the burning of oil in the combustion chamber.  Black dry ash indicates that the engine is running too rich - using too much gas in the gas to air ratio.  Try some steps along these lines and let us know how it turns out.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0