skaw

hello everyone its so nice to have a vw forum,,Happy new year,,well my bug is runnin thanks to my dad he adjusted the carb and i put in new points and condenser and plugs ,wires,,and i drained the oil and put in new and added some compression additive for rings basically its that thick stuff but not no smoke,,well my motor runs good but is still blowin smoke from the pipes so when i pulled the plugs the 1 plug had a lot of oil on it,,could that be my rings,,sorry im not tryin to get answers im just venting i guess ,i just want to drive it thanks my 73 for your reply last time.  basically im trying to figure out how to fix without pulling the motor.

Quote 0 0
olspeed
So sorry skaw... it just can't be done! That rebuild-in-a-can stuff is just snake oil! But cheer up Buddy as it is not that hard A helping hand is always great to have but not a necessity. First make sure you disconnect the fuel line at the front of the engine(not the fuel pump) and plug it. Then disconnect the cables for the heater boxes and the throttle cable. Next you have the wiring harness... Then BEFORE you remove the four nuts that hold it in, get a jack under it. Once the nuts(some have 1 bolt and 3 nuts) are removed it just takes a little wiggling and you should have it on the floor. As for re-ringing it, it's also not that hard and not really that expensive but... if it's a old and tired motor you may find more in it that needs rebuild or repair than just the rings. If it were me... first I would check the endplay on the crank. Car in neutral, engine OFF and e-brake on, pull and push on the crank pulley. It should not move...it's only .005 thousandths you should JUST feel it move in and out. If this is what you have,then hone her out slap in new rings and I wouldn't feel shy about just lapping in a new set of exhaust valves(no need to grind the seats just for this) And you should have a engine that would last until you can afford to build up a real motor. If your endplay is out there then your best bet it to start saving up and baby this thing until you can afford to rebuild or replace it. And what ever you do until then don't shift down coming up to a stop, use the brakes. This is a lot easier on the thrust surface in that old case.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
skaw

thanks olspeed im not driving it,,and yes my Dad wants to pull it as well,we just have to make time i havent owned a bug in a few years and was excited when i bought this one,,of course it does need some work but i think thats the best way to familiarize my self with this car and how she works,,i appreciate your reply and i will let you know how things go..

Quote 0 0
ainokea
Smokin! Could be worn valve guides and not only bad rings. A leak down test
may help pinpoint the problem.

Ainokea
Quote 0 0