32fire3

Hi how do you get the cable out of the wheel spindle? Does it just pull out or is there some type of keeper? My master cylinder is leaking at the black plug that the white nipple is mounted into does the black plug just push into the cylinder want to stop the leak its almost new. Thanks for any help!

dave abercrombie
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Where the squared end sticks through the wheel bearing cap it should be held by a "c" shaped clip.  Once this clip is removed and the bearing cap is popped off, the cable should just pull out of the back fittings.  I have had mine off a couple of times and it was never a complicated matter.   Dan in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
32fire3
ok my clip must be missing the speedo stoped so i orderd a cable ill find a clip or mayby the new cable will come with one thanks
dave abercrombie
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi,

I've never received an "e" circlip with a speedo cable...

I don't know why as they are very easy to lose...

I bought a few spares last time...

if You don't have a circlip on the square end of the cable then the cable may be OK.. as You need the circlip to hold the cable in place...

Usually when a cable is about to break the speedo needle will go back and forth... or up and down....

I always put  a few drops of oil down the top of the cable so the inner piece is lubricated ...

Our speedo cables are much longer - as they still go to the front Left hand wheel hub, but the speedo is located on the RHS of the dash....

Lee Noonan -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I'd be willing to bet that there is nothing wrong with your cable.  Without a clip there, the front wheel turns and the cable remains still.  Root around in your box of junk and find a small split washer.  Fit the washer over the cable end and gently crimp it down with a pair of needle-nose pliers.  All you have to do is to affix it to the cable end so that the wheel turns it.  As for lubricant, I would find a dry spray graphite.  Works like a charm.  Dan in Goderich  wishing a Merry Christmas to the VW world
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0