ablessedbugowner
I was driving my 72 Super this morning when it started making a whirring noise. As I slowed down it got softer and stopped when I stopped the car. I started driving again and it did it again for a short time and then stopped. When it started again I noticed the speedometer needle moving back and forth (about a 10 mph spread) and the noise seemed to change as the needle moved. I checked where the speedometer cable connected to the back of the speedometer. It was a little loose so I tightened it. It helped but then started making the noise again. I tried taking the cable loose from the back of the dash and then putting it back on. It helped again but when I was driving home this afternoon it started making the noise again and the needle was fluctuating more (about 20 mph spread). It then made a soft click and went to 0mph. The odometer also stopped of course. I checked and the cable is still attached to the back of the speedometer. My question is, does this sound like a bad speedometer cable or speedometer?

Thanks
'72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
66VDubbin
i have a 66 bug i have had the same exact problem you are describing. its only done it on me when its really cold, but i slow down enough or stop and it wont do it again and everyworks fine. i would pull off your hub cap, then remove the dust cover for the front left side wheel bearing, (where the speedo cable connects) and cover it with rag to stop WD-40 from geting into the wheel bearing grease. then disconnect the cable from your speedo and spray a good amount of WD-40 down the cable. turn the front wheel to make the cable move and get it good and clean, then maybe even drop a few DRIPS of a nice clean thick motor oil down the cable. i think the sound and +/- mph reading is due to the cable not getting to spin free. kinda like a cheap toy car with a plastic wheel on a metal axel, you try and spin it fast and it just vibrates bad and stops. this should be your easiest step to check out before anything else. good luck
        66Vdubbin
Quote 0 0
taterbug71

i had this to happen to me and mine was the cable. if i was you i would buy me a new cable . and just like 66vdubbin said put a few drops of clean oil on the inside of the cable. you should be up and going in no time.

Quote 0 0
ablessedbugowner

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a new cable and put it on tonight. Works great again - the old cable broke about 6" from the wheel.

'72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0