MMKK
Hi all, first time poster...

I have a 1978 Type II.  It has a 2L "Type IV" engine, hydraulic lifters, and the L-Jetronic Fuel Injection.

I pulled the engine out two weeks ago to replace my clutch and have my flywheel resurfaced.  I got the engine back in last week and got it running pretty well.  The problem I'm having now is that as soon as I get it warmed up, it stalls out.  Just completely dies.  It won't start until it's cooled down a bit (usually 5 minutes).  The longer you let it cool the longer it will run before dying again, but you don't need to let it cool down much to get it to fire up again.

So far I have tried: replacing the coil, re-gapping the points, checking the compression when hot, checked resistance of rotor, spark plug wires, coil, cap contacts, etc. and all are within tolerance.  The compression test came out good all around (about 110-115).  The points look good, they're not shorted (Voltmeter goes from 0 to 12 and back at the appropriate time) and they're opening just fine.  The spark looks pretty good, it's nothing to write home about but it's not exactly weak either.  I've got about 15lbs of vacuum when it's running.

The FI seems to be working, if I keep cranking when it won't start you can smell the gas it's injecting.  Tried, as a test, to run it on Starting Fluid after it'd quit (yes, yes, I know, I know) and it wouldn't even run on that.

What am I missing? I'm about ready to cry....

Thanks in advance for any help.
Quote 0 0
NIKI
HI I HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY BUST STALLING AND IT HAD TO DO WITH THE BREAK BOOSTER LINE I HAD TO REPLACE IT...
Quote 0 0
MMKK
"it's usually something simple" The fuel injection is powered by a "double-relay", part of which controls the pump and the rest of which controls providing power to the entire rest of the system. Power comes to the coil from the key (a single frakking wire runs from the switch to the coil and it powers *EVERYTHING* in the engine compartment). A second connector on the positive terminal on the coil signals the double-relay to close, thus energizing the fuel injection system. All the power for the entire system (except the fuel pump): injectors, computer, sensors, etc. comes from terminal 88y on the relay. Terminal 88y had a loose wire... it would warm up and then loosen up just enough when it got warm and kill the fuel injection and the engine would sputter to a stop. Let it cool down and it'd tighten up a bit and run again.
Quote 0 0
crazyvanman
hi mate

my bus did exactly the same and after £100s of pounds and everybody looking prodding and coming up with there own reasons over a off road period of 14 months we put a single weber on bus and bang fired up 1st thing and has keeped on going no stalling or nothing thirsty on fuel but has taken me to lots of shows this year no worries : ) arghhhhhhh 1970s inj systems : )
Quote 0 0