32fire3
ok i have a 74 super beetle no streeing wheel i bought a wheel from a guy he said it was a 73 it looks like a fit the splines look the same but it wont go on i tapped it with wood block it wont go on are they a super tite fit do i need to heat the wheel or is it the wrong size please help im new to vw  s thanks for any help
dave abercrombie
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi and welcome to the world of VW.  Some things you may want to consider trying.  Mark the end of the shaft with some tape and count the number of spline teeth.  Do the same for the steering wheel opening.  If you can find one , use a set of inside and outside calipers to do the exact measurement. A burr damaging one of the pieces could prevent them from being joined.  On a stock set I have found the fit to be nearly perfect as with all things originally machined in Germany.  Soemtimes you may  need a puller to remove a steering wheel, but there is no way that you should need to heat it or do anything to either part in order  to fit them together.  If the steering wheel is aftermarket, you may be up against some poor machining but don't whack the hell out of the steering shaft in order to get a fit.    Dan ( MY72BUG ) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
32fire3

ok thanks i will count the splines

dave abercrombie
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi Dave,

I believe it was around that time that VW changed the splines on Beetles steering columns...

I'm not 100% sure in what year..., but a local had a 1976 beetle and His wood rimmed steering wheel from an earlier model wouldn't fit on..

He found the later beetle to have the same splines as the Golf... Rabbit.

As Dan has said, if the splines are the same, they should just slide on..

no force is necessary... excepting when removing a wheel for the first time...

As I aways have spare steering wheels, and try them all etc...

My Steering wheels and their nuts nearly come off by themselves.....  I said nearly....

it looks like You may have two different splines....

I'm just glad that You are counting the splines... and not Me....

besides the splines, I should think that the size of both shafts would be different...??  [I'm guessing]

pic: My 68 Beetle with late model beetle/type 3 steering wheel.

cheers

Lee Noonan  -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
Ryan

There are a couple of different sizes.  The later ones mentioned were from about mid '74 on and are a 17mm tapered shaft.  Up to that point there are 2 maybe 3 different sizes that were used, best to measure the shaft you have and use that number to find a match.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0