hugh

Does anyone know why it is that each time I pull my dipstick I get three very different readings. These can vary from needing a half quart or so to full. And that's after the car has sat all night. Initially it caused to overfill the crankcase. Now we just keep pulling till we get a "full" reading. This engine does not appear tu use oil and doesn't leak it. This isn't a huge problem but it is weird. Thanks.

Quote 0 0
Wayne

When you change the oil put in 2.5 liters of oil and that is it. When you have been driving for a while the oil gets dispersed in the engine and you may get a low reading. Check it in the morning and go with what you see on the stick. If it's not blowing smoke or there isn't a huge puddle on the ground, you're probably OK.

Quote 0 0
luftgekuhlt

You should first thing in the morning when you check the oil is, pull the dipstick wipe it off then stick it back in pull it back out and this will give you an accurate reading,(I literally grew up in a service station) for some reason probably due to surface tension the oil sticks higher on the stick after its been slung around while running, just this morning I checked my oil and I remembered reading your post so I made sure to note the level before I wiped off the dip stick and it read about a quart high, after wiping the and checking again it was right on the money.

Sometimes to move forward you must first fall backwards
Quote 0 0
Ryan

You really should check the oil level right after a good drive.  Literally run around to the engine, pull the stick, wipe it off, set it back, count to 10, check it again.  After sitting over night, all the will drain back to the sump, oil that while driving would be suspended in the engine.  When running, the engine actually has less oil in the sump since quite a bit of it is 'in use'.  The reason to give a 10 count before pulling the stick again is because of the surface tension.  You want to give the oil a few seconds to level out around the stick.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0