durtydubs
been looking into putting a stroker engine in my 73 beetle. Just needing a little more info on do's and dont's
Quote 0 0
ainokea
If you decide to build a stroker for your 73, figure out what size engine you want to build, then research it thoroughly before you start ordering parts. Make sure the tools you'll need are available, some you may be able to rent, others you'll have to buy, get a good manual, I recommend Bently.

The size of your build will naturally depend on your budget. So as mentioned, research, research, research. Your parts list should be complete down to every nut, bolt, and screw. Type of carburetion, oil pump, distribution, heads, valves, rockers. The list will be endless but you will be able to make choices from your list

Remeber, research, ask questions. The only stupid question is an unasked one. Ok, so what do I drive? I drive a 5-1973 113 std beetle with a 1955cc
engine, with dual 44 idf's.

AINOKEA
Quote 0 0
durtydubs
Is there a good website you would reccommend? I have a set of 40mm solex twin carbs already kinda wanting to base my engine around that.
Quote 0 0
ainokea

I'm not as familiar with Solex carburetors as I am with Webers but I would venture a guess that 40mmm Solexs would be comprable to Weber 40 IDF's. I would suggest a build of 1776cc or no bigger than 1835cc for optimum carburetor performance. A set of good d/p heads, maybe an Engle 110 or 120 cam, with a good set of rockers, and maybe a Pertronix module in your distributor. The case and heads would need machining to accomodate the bigger pistons and jugs but the bore for 90.5mm and 92mm jugs are the same size. Like I said, research your options first, build second.   

Quote 0 0