Seattlebug
I have a '73 fastback parts car that I'm going to use eventually for a trike, but I have been told that T3 rear brakes are larger than T1 rear brakes but will interchange with the T1 brakes on the Beetle. Is this true? Can I take the brakes off the '73 Fastback and put them on the '74 Beetle, and would the Beetle thereby stop faster and/or better? Is this worth doing?
Quote 0 0
Marc
Type III rear brakes are a direct bolt-on to any IRS Beetle/Super (or long-spline swingaxle c1968) and are a worthwhile upgrade IMO, especially if you have front disk brakes. They'll give a slight increase in unsprung weight and a very small (~¼") reduction in tire-to-fender clearance. The change in brake bias isn't really enough to cause any problems on dry pavement but you'll find it easier to modulate without front-wheel lockup when it's wet out...a good idea in Seattle
Quote 0 0
Seattlebug
Thanks, Marc. I recently put discs on the front, in fact, and I noticed that front-end slide on wet pavement you mentioned, even with good aquatread-type tires. The brake understeer was a bit of a surprise at first, and I'll be glad to lessen it.

OK, a brake swap it is.

Thanks again.
Quote 0 0