maclu88

hi everyone, im hoping someone can help me coz i am at a loss with my 71 SB... i have an aftermarket sun roof installed (not by my choice, car came with it) and whenever it rains, it does leak a small amount. we're talking 3 or 4 tiny drips per minute. nothing major. but the front right hand floor and rear right hand floors become absolutely drenched in water. i am sure it isnt the sunroof because water just cant flow in that fast.. it is as though the water is coming in  somewhere up under near where the pedals are... there are no visible holes though.. ?????? also, i think my timing is out. at top end, doing 60 mph, if i accelerate to overtake or whatever, my engine pings alot and just doesnt have any power. is this timing? how do i use a timing light and where do i point it and what do i adjust? also, what do the majority of you think is pushing it for my beetle speed wise? sometimes i get carried away on our 110 kmh zone (i think that is about 70mph) and i sometimes am going along at 75mph. is this pushing a beelte? all help appreciated

Quote 0 0
Wayne

I had a leak just like that in my 75 Super. I could actually see the water dripping off the pedals. It turned out that the water was coming in from the left lower corner of the windshield and running down the inside. I had it resealed and had had dry feet ever since.

Make sure that you are using 92 octane gas and check this page to find out how to adjust the timing properly http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/apr.htm

Quote 0 0
maclu88
thanks for the reply! i will check the window seals tomorrow. could it also be door seals? they seem a bit old and cracked.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

Ask yourself whether the car leaks onto the floor wells only if the vehicle has been moving or will the floor wells get wet with the car left purely stationary.  If water is getting in even when the vehicle has not been in motion, look for leakage at the corners of the windshield and into the wells under the springs which hold your front hood open.  If the problem is with the door seals, you should be able to see leakage coming across the heater channel at your door thresholds.  If the wells are receiving water only when the car is in motion, look for sheet metal pin holes in the floors and at the back of the wheel wells where the body takes the road spray off of the front tires.  The body to frame seal can be another source of leaks.  Since you probably will have to do it anyway, remove your carpet and get down and dirty into it.  Simulate the conditions which create your problem and you will track down the source of the water.  It can be a number of the above, not just one.  Don't be tempted to do the fix in a piecemeal fashion.  A systemic approach will save you time and frustration over the long haul.  Good luck and happy hunting.  Leaks can be vexatious.  MY 72BUG 

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

....and one more thought on leaks.  Your '71 has the same fresh air blower box under the hood as my '72.  This has to have drainage at the bottom to allow rainwater to pass through.  Is the bottom of the plastic box plugged causing the water to take a different course?  Is the drainage channel under the blower box plugged with gunk causing water to back up in unwanted places?  Pull the blower box ( this isn't too hard ) and run a coat hanger wire down the drain channel.  Does it run into some soft yielding stuff and then cause water to drain out under the car?  Give this a shot.  Cars can accumulate a lot of crap in those plenums especially when parked where they receive a lot of leaves and stuff from mother nature.  MY 72 BUG

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0