larsden11
I am new to air cooled beetles.  My fiance has a '74 beetle sitting in her mom's garage and we would like get it running again.  So we need to tow it a couple hundred miles to get it to my garage to begin the fun.  It has been sitting for about 10 years.  It is looking like getting a tow bar might make the most sense as it would be about the same amount of money as renting a dolly and then we could tow it if needed in the future. 

Is it OK to tow a '74 beetle (manual transmission) with all four wheels on the ground without modifying anything?  I have heard that most vehicles would require either disconnecting the driveshaft or installing a lubrication pump to keep the transmission from burning out on the trip.  But I have also heard that possibly the beetles were designed to be towed in this manner and wouldn't need anything special.  Any references or ideas as to how would I find out for sure?

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Get your tow bar, check the tires and check the fluid in the trany and then tow away. As long as the transmission is full of lube(SAE 80W or SAE 80W/90) you should be good to go as the trany is more or less a splash lube type system. Also if it's been sitting that long you might want to check the front wheel bearings and repack them if you aer going a long way.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Two other things you may want to contemplate.  1. Are all four wheels free?  If the car has been parked a long time make sure that the parking brake is off and the rear wheels turn freely with the tranny in neutral.  A seized cable keeping the brakes on is a recipe for disaster.  Check the front wheels that they turn freely.  Drum brakes should not be a problem here but discs may have enough rust on them to cause some real problems.   2. Your ' 74 will have the impact absorbing bumper mounts which do not take kindly to towing without a proper special tow bar.  I found it much easier and safer to rent a dolly.  With the car in neutral and the parking brake off, I towed MY72BUG with our Grand Voyager without any problems.  Any good trailer rental company will have dollies for rent.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
larsden11

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Quote 0 0
luftgekuhlt

How old are the tires, if it was sitting for 10 years, how old were the tires when it was parked, I would think about some new tires or rent a trailer if your towing that far, I speek from experience I've done things on the cheap and ended up regreting it

Sometimes to move forward you must first fall backwards
Quote 0 0