Juju

Hi Guys: I recently sold my Beetle and I bought a convertible.  Somehow it doesn't use the standard VW parts.  I wonder if I got tricked into what I bought.  Click on the attached picture and comment.  Thanks

Quote 0 0
Wayne

No that's a Volkswagen all right, very rare ...

I had a Suzuki Samurai that I bought brand new and I loved it. It was tons of fun in the summer but I traded up to my VW Super Beetle and have never regretted it.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Come on Juju !!!   As the family back in England would say : " Pull the other one "  ( as in you've got to be pulling my leg !  After the great battle of the right hand mirror and the hand-to-hand combat with the rear wheel bearings, there ain't no way no how that you would part with a Beetle that has become part of the family for that pale piece of near four-by-four.  Besides, you were about to enjoy your first full summer of VWing, n'est pas?    Dan ( MY 72BUG ) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Juju

Hi Dan:  I was kinda' sittin back waiting to see what your response was going to be when I announced the sale of my VW.  It is exactly what I expected.  No I am not pulling your leg, ole Herby is gone and Suzi is sittin' here awaitin' and snortin' to get into those mountains.  We can all justify the things we do by some logic or reasoning that will make our decision right for our needs at a given time.  I know I don't have to justify my doings to this forum but I am going to elaborate on my logic anyway.  I was looking for a small vehicle to pull behid our motor home when I bought the VW.  Primarily I wanted a small 4X4 but the VW happened along at the time so I bought it.  As you noted I spent many hours and many dollars on the resto.  I did have some sentiments in the selling of it but there were some things that I just couldn't seem to get repaired and I didn't want to spend a ton of money for dealer service.  The steering never was self centering in turns, there was a growl in the rt CV joint that was replaced twice.  There was a gasoline odor that permeated the garage, and lastly at my old age it was difficult for me to get in and out of that car without a shoehorn.  Anyway I saw this Suzuki in the yard of the seller and I liked it and bought it and later sold the VW, and so far it is fine.  It has the same span for the tow bar as the VW so I salvaged the tow bar.  I really enjoy this chat forum and I learned a lot from all you guys and especially you Dan,  I got into another web forum on VW's and I won't name it but it was full of vulgarity and smart alec know nuthin' characters with not much knowledge of the vehicle.  This forum can be proud of its members and their willingness to share their problems and solutions to same.  I have sold the VW but you have not gotten rid of me.  I will check in on this site often and if there is anything that I have encountered in my resto that anyone asks about and I can help with my experiences, I intend to do so, Thank you all for your help through my project and I am here if I can help any of you.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Juju - How exactly  do I put this other than OUCH !  I guess I understand.  It all comes down to the circumstances in which we find ourselves vis-a-vis vehicles and the purposes for which we own them. ( or they us! )  Other than the gas gauge fix I have been working on suspension up front with all new neoprene bushings and a long overdue alignment.  Around the back end I pulled the driveshafts and did a number on the CV's discovering one which had fatal wear but wasn't even beginning to act like it.  I had two from my parts car and borrowed one complete CV from one of these drive shafts.  The overall swap was one of the greasiest, messiest jobs I have ever encountered but the results were worth it.  The improvement came mostly on much smoother operation when the engine is under load such as going up one of our rare hills around here.  The season is finally underway and MY 72BUG is ready for the road.  You never know,  there might be another one of the 22,000,000 bugs out there with your name on it.  Admit it, the learning experience was well worth the skinned knuckles and mechanical mysteries.  Take care.  Dan in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0