tomahawk256

Does anyone know any tricks for getting a leaky oil pump to seal up.  Gaskets and sealant don't seem to be doing the trick.  Also, what is normal operating temp on vw engines?

Quote 0 0
olspeed
Check the sealing surfaces and make sure that they are clean (no gasket material) and there are no surface imperfections. If you haven't already, get some permatex #2 and put it on the gaskets very thinly. Also on the cover plate for the pump, is it the stock one or an aftermarket. If it's the stock one did the P/O tighten the nuts down so tight that it dimpled the holes in? The best way to check this is to get a straight edge (steel ruler,piece of flat stock,etc) and put it across the cover. If you have a set of feeler gauges use the thinnest one you have... if not a piece of note book paper will do the job. With the straight edge on the flat side of the cover(bolt hole to bolt hole) try to slide the feeler gauge under the edge, if it will slide under it then the cover needs to be repaired or replaced. To repair it get some wet/dry sand paper(120 grit) and something that is really flat.(a piece of glass works great) Put some engine oil on the sand paper and work the flat side of the plate on it in a figure eight pattern. keep checking as you go until your feeler gauge will no longer fit under the straight edge. Please note that you can check and repair an aftermarket pump cover this way also.
 As for oil temp... At the moment I don't have my Bentley manual in the house so I can't tell you what VW specifies, and I have never had a temp gauge on my car but. What I normally do to check the temp of my engine is a little trick that I read in Gene Berg's tech articles. After running the engine up to what you think is your normal operating temperature, grab on to the dipstick... while it should be hot to the touch you should be able to hold on to it. If it is so hot that you need a rag to hold it, you are running to hot.
Olspeed  
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0