vwsurfbum

Been in beetles for many years, never had this problem. had some new wheels and tyres fitted, porsche cookie cutters, had 185/55/15 fitted to the front, had a valve blow out! something that i have never seen!

now the tyre people recon that the tyre pressuers were too low. now my vw training and previous tyre fitting tells me that if the car weight and size hasnt changed why should the tyre pressure? now i was running them at 20 psi and they recon it should be 30 psi?

any comments would be gratfully recieved.

Quote 0 0
Wayne

I'm running stock 165/15 radials and run them at the recommended 29 rear and 18 PSI front. In all my years I've never seen a value stem blow out unless it was old or improperly installed in the first place. Since your running a low profile tire you should check with the tire supplier as to what they say they should be run at, keeping in mind that the rears need a higher pressure due to the engine in the rear. Tires also have a pressure listed on the sidewall but it is usually only the Maximum recommended pressure.

Quote 0 0
vwsurfbum

The tyre people recomended to me to run at 30 psi! with that in there the car is undrivable! they say that because of them being low profiles they need more pressure! not something that i have ever come accross or believe.

Quote 0 0