Hey there,

Im wondering what the ballpark value might be on a 6 year ground off resto on a '73 super. It is not stock, leaning toward the cal-look but done with taste. The paint job and drive train alone cost upwards of $8000. Between 20000 (easy) to 30000+ total invested. Everything on the car is either brand new or completely restored. All work was professionally looked over and adjusted where needed. Waiting on appraisal...Zero miles since resto. Just trying to get an idea of what it is worth on the current market, assuming zero miles.
Quote 0 0
Ryan

It's worth what people will pay for it.  'Who' did the work is more important that what was done.  I have a Super myself and love it, but the fact that it is a Super kills the value right of the bat.  They just aren't that desirable.

Also, without knowing exactly what's been done or is in it, it's impossible to guess.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi poweruser and welcome to the world of VW.  Ryan has already given you the essence of the answer to your question but allow me to elaborate.  Selling an antique or collector car is really a question of supply and demand.  In your case a sedan ( I am assuming that it is not a convertible ) Super Beetle is in abundance as it was the last series built and was built in big numbers.   Rare VW's are the convertibles ( about 330,000 of the 23 million built )  and pre-1968, 21 and 23 window vans.  When cars are taken away from stock condition and appearance, a big part of the market is left behind.  Collectors pay huge premiums for cars which are " time capsule " examples, original paint, no accidents, even original interiors and tires.  While anyone can copy your custom work, if that is their taste in cars, nobody can create an untouched original.  Super high quality restorations are possible using new old stock parts etc. and these too will command good prices.  It is ever so easy to overbuild a car by "investing" thousands more than the car will ever be worth on the market.  Just because you have spent that kind of money does not mean that the buyer will acknowledge your efforts by paying you more than they could pay for a better or rarer car.  Go to Collector Car Trader.com and search using specific years, makes, models and geographic areas.  Try looking just in California and you will see what others are asking for their cars.  Now put yourself in the postion of someone with $10,000 burning a hole in their pocket.  Do they buy your car or a Karmann-Ghia convertible ?  You should learn rather quickly that the market is a ruthless place.  Take your car to a VW meet and compare it around.  That is also a good place to sell a car.  People there are already interested and you may indeed score.  Best of luck and if it doesn't sell, consider just enjoying your car.  Unlike some makes, VW's are meant to drive.   MY 72BUG
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0