mocha

Hi,

New to the forum, but I hope someone can help me.

I recently bought my Dad's beach buggy and had the engine replaced with a overhauled Beetle 1300.

The vehicle now vibrates heavily in reverse and I have no idea what it is.

Was not happy with the service from the garage that swopped out the motor so thinking of trying to tackle this one on my own..  Worried that they might have fitted something incorrectly.. Seriously low standards..

Also anyone know where I can download a workshop manual

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi Mocha:  Two things that come to mind for your issue:
1. What is the condition of your clutch?  A slipping clutch could conceivably be more pronounced with the transmission in reverse.  When they did the engine swap-out did the new engine have a new main crankshaft seal?  A leak there will start some serious clutch slippage.
2. Check the condition of your transmission mounts.  At the tailstock end of the transmission where the shifter rod goes in and at the lower ends of the bell housing where it meets the engine are hard rubber mounts.  If the rubber here has separated from the metal, the engine could torque up and shake in the manner which you describe.  Putting a lever between the components and the mounts should allow you to test the mounts.
As for a download on a manual, I would look for a Haynes book.  They are still readily available and are not that expensive.  Good luck with the project.  Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich, Ont.

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
mocha

Hi Dan,

Many thanks for the advice...

I have ordered the Haynes manual - will be getting it over the next few days.

Will let you know what caused the problem once I have solved it.

Cheers

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I have been doing more thinking about your problem.  First - do you know the year of your chassis?  Does it have the old old VW rear suspension with drive axles coming out of the transmission or is it the later type where the rear wheels are driven by two drive shafts which have inner and outer CV joints ?  Does the vibration start as you let out the clutch in reverse or only as you actually move the vehicle in reverse?   Is there any noticeable vibration as the vehicle moves forward?   If you crawl into the back seat area of the chassis you will find an oval plate which is the access cover for your shifter rod to transmission connection.  Stamped into the plate you will find a series of numbers. If you can give me the numbers I can tell you the year of your bug's chassis.  This can be handy information for parts searches etc.  The Haynes should be easy to find.  Our Canadian Tire still keeps them in the store and we are in a pretty small town.  Another very handy book is " How to Keep Your  Volkswagen Alive " by the late John Muir.  It is written at a level that the beginner shade tree mechanic can understand.  Keep at the diagnostic work.  You will solve the problem.   Dan
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
mocha

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback..

I had a look on the plate but unfortunately couldn't find any numbers, when looking at the suspension there are only rubber boots closest to the transmission (not sure if that helps).

The lurching happens as soon as the vehicle moves (if I move the vehicle very slowly the lurching is not as bad (do this by slipping the clutch) as I reverse faster it gets worse...

No problems driving forward (buggy is fine all all respects except reverse)

I have also ordered John Muir's book here online (should take about 10 days)

I am living in South Africa (Cape Town).

Will keep you posted as I find out more

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
OK Mocha !  Good to know that the miracle of electronic communications can hook up Bug owners half way around the world.  Yes it does help with the axle description.  As I suspected, you have an older bug.  When you jack up the back end the wheels drop down at an angle.  They switched to inner and out constant velocity joints with inner and outer rubber boots around 1970.  The exact date escapes me.  a couple more things to consider:
1.  can you jack up the rear end with the back wheels fully off the ground ?  Carefully start her up and engage the tranny into reverse.  Are there weird noises coming from the tranny ?  Do the wheels turn smoothly with no load on the axles or is the shake still there?
2. Unscrew the big hex plug from the side of the tranny.  On the level ground a little trickle of gear oil should come out.  There is another one of these big hex plugs in the bottom of the transmission.  If you drain the gear oil into a pan are you presented with nasty metal chunks or just nice clean gear oil?
3. A long shot here but are the rear brakes all intact?  Broken or binding components there could be a source of trouble and a cheap one to fix.
     I am still thinking clutch and am wondering about a damaged pressure plate.  This might engage OK forward but be a problem child in reverse.  At least with a dune buggy, pulling out an engine is a walk in the park.  Electrical stuff labeled and disconnected, fuel line off and plugged, throttle cable off,  two upper bolts and two lower nuts on studs.  Get a floor jack and some help.  Pull the engine straight back and then lower down.  This should ultimately tell the story.  Go for it.  Dan in Goderich ( willing to bet that we have more snow than you )

Quote 0 0
mocha

Hi Dan,

Chatted to my dad earlier tonight - the chassis is definately from the 60's.

He also remarked that if he held the handbrake up while reversing - the shuddering went away ?

Anyway - jacked up the car as you suggested this evening - was able to engage reverse with no shuddering also gave quite a bit of gas and was still alright..

Therefore problem seems to be related to load..

Will try drop the engine out tomorrow to check the clutch plate..

After draining gearbox oil and checking for pieces of transmission (but if she runs ok with no load not sure if the problem is there...

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hello again Mocha:  The last part of your message was cut off.  From the description of what you have learned so far, I am still suspecting a clutch problem.  Removal of the engine should tell the story.  Did you find anything in the tranny oil ?  Have you pulled the rear brake drums and had a look-see in there?  My '77 Ford once developed a nasty sound and movement in reverse.  Part of the brake shoe hold down kit had come off and the shoe was doing  some weird things but only in reverse.   Dan
Quote 0 0
mocha

Hey Dan,

Good news.... Problem has been solved.

I spent most of the weekend just checking stuff (clutch adjustment, play in cable and goosenexck, etc)

On Sunday afternoon the problem was better, but still not right.

I decided I was going to remove the engine.

As I was checking the mounting bolts I found that the bolt going through the starter motor had come loose and fallen off. I replaced the nut and problem was solved..

When the clutch makes contact in reverse the engine and gearbox mounting had moved which caused the shudder.

Anyway thank you for all your help and advice. The positive encouragment helped me to see this through.

Only outstanding issues - tuneup, electrical and paint.

Thanks Again

Chris

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Good on ya Mocha ! I was slow to get back to you because I am temporarily in Arizona enjoying a jump start on warm weather.  One thing about Bugs is that you will so often find weird little things that cause problems which in turn have cheap solutions.  These are cars which beg to be tinkered with, modified, puzzled over and just enjoyed. Owners become part detective, part mechanic.  Experience becomes your teacher and raises you to the level of expert.  When we use these forums to share problems and solutions, we work to keep these great old cars on the road.  If anything else crops up, post it.  The rest of us will in turn go to school on your solution to your problem.  Could it crop up again?  With 23 million bugs out there, I would guess yes!  Dan( in Arizona )  MY72BUG in Goderich
Quote 0 0