highlander
Hi all, first time VW owner here.

Do the engine #'s normally have a circle with VW inside it preceeding the engine letter/no. designations?

The only no.'s on my engine are H 5799086. In front of the H is some type of symbol with a circle and VW stamped inside it vertically with the V above the W.

Having some real difficulty finding out what engine is in my 72 Beetle Baja.
Help is greatly appreciated. My motor also has a Alternator setup and not a generator.
Jim C.

I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.....I think....
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
According to the numbers I am consulting, you have a 1500 cc built from Aug. ' 68 to July ' 69.  The alternator is an upgrade- something which is pretty commonly seen.  With these numbers and marks you at least know that you have an original VW block.  I can't recognize the carb but it doesn't look stock PICT.  ..... and that is some creative plumbing for the exhaust !!
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
highlander
Thanks for the response. I am in agreement with you on the engine. From my checks I have came up with the same 1500 cc and 68-69 year model.
Carb is a Weber 40 aftermarket 2 bbl. down draft performance carb with aftermarket intake. Its actually rated for the 1600-1800 cc engines. Apparently this motor has had a few mods. done to it other than just the Alternator upgrade.
I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.....I think....
Quote 0 0