bradley
This may be a stupid question, I'm almost afraid to ask.
I was wondering about running a heater core and an electric pump and fan etc.. and maybe some copper tubing, utilizing the exhaust heat, I'm sure you can see where this is going. Has anyone ever done anything like this? It seems feasable but maybe a big waste of time. I don't know if running a water heater is crossing some aircooled taboo or not.  
Any comments or suggestions would be great, you can even yell at me for suggesting such a thing. 

Bradley. 
Quote 0 0
Wayne

I don't think that anyone would yell at you here. What's wrong with your VWs current heater system? Has it been removed? The original system is not great but it gets the job done and you can always add booster fans if you like. If it's gone why not try some thing creative. Just be careful around the exhaust because if you have a leak it could be deadly.

Quote 0 0
bradley

Hi Wayne,

I do have some heat, and booster fans do make more sense, I was just thinking how nice and warm a good water cooled heater is, and also, like I mentioned in earlier posts, I grew up working in a radiator shop, so I guess it's spilling over to the aircooled world a bit. I mostly thought it might make a good topic for discussion and to hear peoples comments.
Thanks for the support on trying something creative!

Bradley.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
If someone could devise a " water jacket " which could surround a J-pipe you might have a hope of pulling this off.  This would be the technically challenging part of your project.  After that it is heater hose, a recirculating pump, a heater core, a fan and some duct work.  What the whole thing would depend on would be the rate of heat transfer from the hot exhaust pipe to the anti-freeze in the water jacket. Remember that the transfer of heat in the water cooled engine is next to the cylinder walls - a place vastly hotter than the exhaust pipe. You might get all of this together and discover that you get luke warm heat out of your efforts.  Then of course all of that fragile structure is operating on a shaking air cooled engine inches away from the road.  Given that the walls of the water jacket have to be fairly thick, like the engine block walls of a water cooled engine you would have to shoe-horn all of that into a crowded area.  I'm no engineer but I would see the challenges outweighing the potential for success - otherwise someone would have tried it already.  Just my opinion.  Dan (MY72BUG)
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
bschwarz77
I just pulled off my very OLD heater boxes and put on some J-pipes for the summer, and I'll be getting new boxes before this winter.  When I last used those old ones, I stayed pretty warm once the engine warmed up.  I'd think if your heater boxes are in good shape or new and you installed a heater/defroster assistance kit, you'll have just about the best heat possible aside from a 12v electric heater/defroster, which might not be so safe.

Take a look at this kit:  http://www.mamotorworks.com/acvw-1-54-6320.html
If you can fabricate what you need aside from the fans, you can buy some fans like these:  http://www.boatersland.com/blowers.html  they're available in a few different places online.

Quote 0 0
bradley
Thanks for the extra info and the links, I'll probably go with some booster fan setup. The heat down at my feet is good and warm but I would like to get up to the dashboard.
Thanks again, Bradley.
Quote 0 0