I've got a 57 Beetle, lowered up front with adjustable beam and dropped spindles. The nose is about 3.5 inches off the deck. I'm currently running 135/15 under the stock fenders. But I'd like to get a bit more rubber on the ground. I've got later model four lug rims on the spindles with disk brakes. I believe the rims are 4 inch wide. Anyone know if there's a tire a bit wider, but keeping a profile as low as the 135 as to not scrub the fenders?
Quote 0 0
Juju

I have a 74 Super.  It is not lowered or changed in any way that I am aware. It has 185/65R15 tires on chrome wheels that I do not know if the centers are different than stock or not. The car does not steer good.  If I turn about 2/3rds of a turn it is fine but at a full turn it does not want to return to center, it wants to pull further into the turn. I have had it into a shop and aligned but it is no better.  It acts like there is not enough camber on the suspension.  When it is in reverse it centers up instantly like it has too much camber.  I think the extra wide tires grab on the edges in full turn and someday I will try stock tires and rims. ( My first post on this I said 165/15.. My mistake .. sorry)

Quote 0 0
Yrh, I think I get the exact opposite problem. I have a brand new steering box. Brand new front end actualy. The steering gear has been adjusted properly, but I still have to steer it almost like a boat. It feels like there is a lot of play at the wheel, but there really isn't. If you step outside the car and grab the wheel while you look at the tires, you can see the tire move as sson as you move the wheel, insead of delaying like it would with too much slop in the gear. But when I drive it, I gotta turn the wheel more thatn I should have to to get it to turn. Like there's just not enough traction from the front tires to grab the road and turn the car. Those little 135s only put a footprint of 3.5x2.5 inches of rubber on the ground. I just don't know what size tire I could fit under the fenders and keep it lowered. So I've ben thinking of getting the wider front fenders.
Quote 0 0
Ryan

The 135s are your problem, they aren't even 'street' tires in my book.  I'm running about an inch lower than stock and run 185/60s up front and 195/65s in the rear, both on stock rims.  It drives and steers just peachy.  What tire pressure are you running?  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
30 psi.

Yeh, the 135 really isn't a street tire. That's the reason for this thread. To see if anyone know what size I could fit under there that would fit the stock rims, fit under either  stock fenders, or a bit wider, and put more rubber on the ground. My car is considerably lower than 1in. lower than stock.

Quote 0 0
Ryan

I'd start with tire pressure, even for a smaller tire 30 sounds pretty high.  I run 18 front and 30 rear.  Running 30 up front makes the car feel really light and I noticeably lose braking ability.

Get the numbers off the sidewall and I can help you calculate a starting point.  I need max pressure and max weight, both should be on the tire.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0