I just took my bus through Oregon's DEQ station. It would have passed except that the 'hydrocarbon output at idle' was too high. I have a '83 Vanagon with an air-cooled 2L engine. It has twin Weber 34ict carbs (but the pictures I have seen of these carbs have choke plates and mine don't). My main question is: in order to 'lean out' the mixture, is there an adjustment on the carb, or is it wholly a jetting issue? This is my first experience with the Weber carb, and I'm not familiar with how this kind of adjustment can be done. If possible, reply soon, as I only have about 20 days before my temporary permit expires...
Quote 0 0

If you are in the city of Portland, try the DEQ in Hillsboro or forest grove. they seem to cut some slack out there.

Quote 0 0
Thanks for the tip! I finally managed to get it through the DEQ in Clackamas a couple of days after I posted the first message. I found that one carb had the idle screw set too 'tight'. Apparently, the idle screws don't have the same pitch on the threads. I turned the right side carb out, just a little richer, and I could hear that the firing would change. Seems that I had it too lean for both cylinders to fire and one was just pumping fuel at idle. So, that fixed that problem and it passed DEQ. It's been a daily driver ever since.
Quote 0 0