Juju

I have replaced the windows on the driver side of the car.  The windows were pitted with what looked like sand blasted glass. I thought maybe the driver's side got stone chipped because the previous owner may have lived on a gravel road and passing cars chipped that side only. (The chips don't look large enough to be from stone damage). Now I am thinking that maybe it was the sun and or environment from sun rays that damaged the glass, because the car may have been continually parked with that side toward the sun.  Anyway, just as a point of curosity, I am wondering if anyone has experienced similar glass deterioration and may have thoughts on the cause of it? 

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi juju it's Dan.  My right side door's window has some pitting which I am sure was the handy work of someone using a sand-blaster to remove paint.  There is even an abrupt line where some of the glass was protected by masking.  Neither of my body shops was responsible for this as it was this way when I bought the car.  There was another sort of marking on the glass that was removeable using automotive rubbing compound and wax but I think that this was old hard water spotting.  I would need a replacement window but the convertible ones are special and rare unless someone can cut replacement flat safety glass.  ( Anybody out there know if this is possible ? ) MY72BUG
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Juju

Hi Dan : I looked up on the net for tempered glass cutters and found these two.  If you search further, I am sure there might be some in your area.

http://www.landlglass.com/services.html

http://www.safelite.com/

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Thanks again,  I will pursue this now that I know that it can be done.  The moral of the story is twofold:  1. just because you have not seen it done, don't assume that it can't be done   2. thank goodness for the internet and people who think of it as a research resource !   Cheers.  MY72BUG  Dan in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0