jrrhdmust
I restored a 71 Superbeetle with my daughter.  Currently, it is a fair weather driver, since I cannot figure out how to reconnect the knob for the widshield wiper switch.  Does anyone know how the the knob connects up to the switch?

Thanks
71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
From the sound of things you may have an aftermarket switch.  I have a ' 72 Super and the stock switch is a lever which protrudes from the right side of the steering column.  One position up is low and the next position up is high.  Both operate at a fairly leisurely speed!  The lever is part of an assembly which is attached to a larger assembly which is your turn signals and high-low beam for the headlights.  The whole shebang is prone to collecting dirt and dust ( and in the case of MY72BUG grit from sandblasting) and can pose problems for the restorer.  On the plus side the assemblies can be removed by removing the steering wheel and a few attaching screws.  New ones are available but a good cleaning with electronic circuit cleaner and a blast of compressed air will likely fix it as long as the wiring and motor are good.  If your unit is not this stock one the "knob" could go on in a number of ways.  If your unit is a stock one and you have a lever rather than a knob you will have to remove the assembly and see how it was attached at the factory.  Removal is not very difficult.  Good luck with the work.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Mia culpa.  I was rethinking this and went to a good source to check and see what was prescribed for ' 71's just in case they were different from ' 72's.  Wouldn't you know that they are different.  In the now no longer printed CIP 1 catalogue, there is a 6volt switch part # VWC 141-955-517 for 1962-1967 and a very similar looking switch #VWC-141-955-517-A for 1968 - 1971.  This is dash mounted rather than column mounted and must be the one on your car.  In the catalogue the knobs are sold separately and they do not give a very good view of their construction.  I checked my boxes of knobs and stuff and there are two designs.  One is a press on knob which goes onto a square fitting and the other is a threaded steel shaft which would screw into the switch with the plastic knob attached to the steel shaft.  Is there an opening in your wiper switch which would take a threaded piece?   The catalogue diagrams of the knobs do not show a steel shaft.  How is yours constructed?  Can you post a picture of it?  If it is the right sort I could mail one to you provided that the switch still works of course.   Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi it's me again.  Let me take one more guess at this.  I think that you will find that your  wiper knob is a different creature.  In the depths of the CIP catalogue they show yet another variation on knobs and this one will be yours.  Yours should have a long thin probably square shaft that fits into the switch.  Yours will be broken off of the knob and will be stuck in the switch itself. ( or it will be absent altogether)   It should just pull out.  Now for the good news.  They sell C16-111-255 which is the " wiper knob insert".  Attach this piece into the existing knob, press it into the switch and your problem should be solved.  If this is not the solution then I am truly at a loss.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich.  PS  I do not have one of this type
Quote 0 0
jrrhdmust
I think you have it.  Mine is the dash mounted version.  The knob it self has a long plastic tail.  I though that there might be a clamp screw in the switch housing to clamp down on the tail, but I couldn't find one.  I am assuming that it pulls out, so it hits a detent to actuate the wipers faster.  I just can't figure out how to secure the tail in the switch.

Thanks a lot I will look into what you said.

John
71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Somebody else who has one of this type, does the switch activate by pulling out or by turning?  I would picture this being a two position twist switch but how about it you ' 71 to ' 68 owners; does it pull or twist ?  If worse comes to worse you can experiment by removing the switch and seeing if it comes apart.  The shaft piece has to attach in there by some means.   Still wondering.   Dan
Quote 0 0
jrrhdmust

I am going to try and turn it tonight.  I am not sure how to secure a twist switch.  I will figure out something.  A pull like the head light was much easier.

71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
jrrhdmust
I tried to turn it, and pull it with a pair of needle nose plyers. No luck at all.

I am going to order the CIP part and see if that won't get it.
71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Out of curiosity, did you test the wiper motor by bypassing the switch?  If the motor works OK by putting power to it then you know that the switch is the problem - as long as you don't have wiring issues leading up to the motor.  If on the other hand you have a dead short in the motor you could have cooked the switch which would explain why nothing seems to be able to get the switch to move in any direction.  You want to confirm the nature of the problem before you hook up a new switch and proceed to cook it by exposing it to the same problem which did in your first switch.  I did this once with an ignition switch and was not pleased with the results!!  An ounce of caution is called for here.   Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
Quote 0 0