help  i am curently a new owner of a 1974 super beatle with auto stick tranny i recevied it for payment for welding in floor boards any way the guy fried the wiring do any of you have a diagram  of  how to wire the tranny any help would be appriecated

Quote 0 0
Juju
Hi Shawn:  Rob and Dave's web site offers information on wiring and may have what you need;   http://www.vw-resource.com/wiring.html  Click on the blue type and take a look.  Good luck
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi and welcome to the world of VW.   My Haynes book does not differentiate between an automatic tranny and the standard for wiring.  It shows a ground strap going from the tranny to the frame and two wires going to the reverse light switch which is up at the front of the tranny on a standard.  Where it is for the automatic I am not sure.  Anyway, take a live wire from terminal 15   on your coil in the engine compartment.  This is the wire which brings power from the ignition switch. (Wires also go from it to the automatic choke and the electromagnetic fuel switch on the carb.)  In it you will have an in-line fuse.  This wire goes to the reverse-light switch on the tranny.  From the reverse light switch comes a single wire which is then split in two.  One goes to the reverse light on the left side, one goes to the reverse light on the right.  The switch closes the circuit both lights come on.  The Haynes book is a real handy thing to have when you are working on your Beetle.  Another handy item for novices and experts alike is the John Muir book , " How to Keep Your Volkwagen Alive".  MY 72BUG
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
shawn wrote:

help  i am curently a new owner of a 1974 super beatle with auto stick tranny i recevied it for payment for welding in floor boards any way the guy fried the wiring do any of you have a diagram  of  how to wire the tranny any help would be appriecated

If you don't find what you need, I have a factory book that I had on the early auto-stick when I went to the VW School in New Orleans. I have seen it w/in the last 2 months and should have no trouble finding it. I think I might have a few notes scribbled in it but, it was in rather good shape. I can copy it and send you a full manual or get my grandson to scan it and put it on file and do it that way. Come to think of it, the club could probably use it in their tech archives.

Personally, I liked the tranny....the stupid sales people pushed it as an automatic. Therefore, they nor the customer knew how to drive it. To many, it was their first VW and they got p.o'd with it. I drove one in an old SCCA autocross car for 2 years. Took many T.O.D.s from the Midgets and Sprites, too. A set of 13s and some Formula Ford slicks.....it was quick.

OK, the old fart's through rambling about the past. If I can be of help, just let me knw.

Have a Great Year...

Quote 0 0