OldPunk
Hello Everyone:

I saw a wiring "harness" in a magazine thatwas made up of several sets of paired wires (my impression was that you could get it in 2-4 pairs) and long enough to reach from the engine compartment through the cab to the trunk compartment for the purpose if easily hooking up aftermarket gauges without having to run the wires for each instrument separately (or together in a spaghetti bundle).

Has anyone seen this product? Can you tell me where I can get it? My local VW parts joint don't know nuthin' 'bout no aftermarket instrument harness. I'm planning on putting a tach, oil temp and oil pressure gauge in our 71 Standard Beetle (and will eventually be doing the same for our 79 bus).

My bright idea, int he absence of this product, is to get trailer wiring and do the same thing. The only problem there is that the harness I saw was round, while the trailer harnesses I have seen are usually flat, and that's harder to route through metal.

Your input and all random thoughts appreciated.

OldPunk
_______
Keep yer hands on the road and yer eyes upon the wheel.
Quote 0 0
Wayne

I have never heard of this product but it could save you some time if you are running a lot wires from front to back. The bonus would be if they are color coded shorting our short would be a lot easier. I'm sure you could use a trailer hitch harness as it would be the proper guage for 12v systems.

Quote 0 0
OldPunk

Thanks. I got impatient over the weekend and got the trailer wiring harness. My VDO gauges all called for 16-gauge wire, which was available in the trailer harness in a 4-line flat bundle of different-colored wires. It worked very well, going through the firewall to the engine compartment. It was a bit annoying to have to drill a large hole for the flat bundle, but then it laid very nicely under the carpet for its route under the driver's seat and up into the luggage compartment. After bringing the bundle through the fire wall I sealed the hole and shielded the wires from the naked metal with a few squirts of black Shoe Goo (it's a bit thicker than silicone sealant, sets up faster, and because it's formulated as a glue it has superior strength characteristics). I left plenty of excess in each compartment as I have yet to hook up the gauges, but at this point I see no reason why it wouldn't work very well.

OldPunk
_______
Keep yer hands on the road and yer eyes upon the wheel.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
The trailer wiring harness is a well thought out solution.  Last weekend I installed a VDO tachometer in MY72BUG.  The wiring was mostly very close to the illumination lights and  fuse box so this was not a problem.  The one long wire that went to the coil was fished down through the same route that the main wiring harness uses to go to the rear of the car.  I had enclosed this in one of those ribbed plastic wiring harness covers.   For most of the way, I was able to pry open the cover and insert the single wire.  The tach looks great.  I removed the old speaker grill which is to the left of the speedometer, used calipers to measure the diameter of the tach, scribed a circle with a compass and did the hole cut with a Dremel tool and a few cut-off discs.  The "tines" of the old speaker grill grip the body of the tach so no further mounting is needed.  Piece of cake.   Dan in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0