richard
Can anyone recommend a good place to get a good quality stock 1600cc dual port long block for my '74 super beetle? Or should I spend the xtra $ and get a new engine?

All suggestions appreciated, Richard
Quote 0 0
Wayne

It sure is nice to get an complete engine that you can pretty much drop into your Beetle. But with that comes extra $. Where are you located?

Quote 0 0
richard
Hey Wayne,

Yea, I was thinking that too after talking to some guys about metal fatigue in remanufactured long blocks. I looked at one from mid america motorworks(12mo/12k warranty) for $1099 that had a rebuilt oil pump - why do a rebuild when a new one is only $30? Their new engines for $2200 come from Mexico with no warranty - how weird is that?

I'm in eastern Oklahoma about an hour west of Tulsa.

Thanks for noticing me, Richard
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi Richard:  Just how clapped-out is your current mill?  Is it an original matching numbers engine?  Are you plagued with the sound of serious main bearing knocks, case cracks and the like?  One of the true beauties of VW engines is that if the bottom end of the mill is still free of bearing troubles you can buy an all new top end for very reasonable money and get all new stuff !  I have done three engine rebuilds on 1600's and  by patiently  following the books and  buying  new or high quality used  heads and piston / cylinder kits  have produced engines which would measure up against any long block for a lot less money.  Moreover, when I was done I still had those magic original VW engine numbers on my mill.  I would  also check with my local  VW club to see if there is a local shade tree VW oldtimer around.  This will be someone with a reputation to protect who will assess and rebuild your engine or tell you  that for some reason your engine is truly done for.  Here in Ontario we still have a few of these guys.  I would trust one of them long before I would trust a $2200 engine that comes with no warranty!  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0